« ALL THE COOL CHICKS SURF-IZZY TIHANYI,CO-FOUNDER AND OWNER OF SURF DIVA SURFING CAMP IN LOVELY SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA GIVES US THE LOWDOWN ON WHY GIRLS WHO SURF RULE THE WORLD!!-PODCAST | Main | Top Ten Wines...Ever? Love It, Hate It...Just Debate It. S-Wine's Top Ten List of the Best Wines. Why is Cristal on Here? WEEKLY FASHIONTRIBES WINE WEDNESDAYS PODCAST »
Unclutter Your Office: It's Easy! Storage Tips from Maxwell at ApartmentTherapy.com - Shelving From Muji & TopDeq; Storage Bins; File Cabinet; Wall Shelves; Bulletin Board with Benefits; Eco-Friendly Container - WEEKLY FASHIONTRIBES HOME DECOR PODCAST
Unclutter Your Office: It's Easy! Storage Tips from Maxwell at ApartmentTherapy.com - Shelving from Muji & TopDeq; Storage Bins; File Cabinet; Wall Shelves; Bulletin Board with Benefits; Eco-Friendly Container - WEEKLY FASHIONTRIBES HOME DECOR PODCAST - MP3 File
It's time to clean up your act!
In the July issue of Fashiontribes.com, in the Afro Love magazine Home Decor feature Office Oasis: With the Amount of Time You Spend At Work, It's High Time to De-Clutter Your Second Home, organizing goddess Dr. Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, author of The Well Ordered Office: How To Create An Efficient And Serene Workspace, shares secrets on transforming your home office from an ungodly mess into a serene haven of mega-productivity. Well maybe not mega-productivity, but at least you'll be able to find stuff once you combat all that clutter.
Her top tip? Tame the paper tiger. "It only takes a few days for piles to accumulate. If you don't have a good way to handle your paper, it stacks up quickly." Make sure that all that paper is going somewhere other than into a messy pile - as soon as it enters your workspace.
And don't think you have to do everything at once. Just start somewhere, and do a little bit each day. Start small, perhaps by organizing a drawer or straightening a bookshelf. Over time, it will make a huge different. Promise.
Motivated to turn over a new, clean-desk leaf? The fabulous - and fabulously organized - Maxwell at ApartmentTherapy.com stays streamlined by avoiding the temptation to accumulate. "Pare down as much as possible," he advises. His two main tips when it comes to whipping your office into shape:
- FILE DRAWERS Make sure you have a place to stash all that paperwork.
- OPEN SHELVES For all that post pare-down stuff you need to store. (This sleek, glass Muji number from the MOMA.org online store makes any office classy.)
Fashiontribes just moved offices, so we feel your organizing pain. Here are some great storage options and Maxwell-approved resources to get you on your way:
- METAL SHELVING These flexible, modular Spazio shelves from TopDeq.com - a storage specialist - help keep everything in its place. Plus, they look cool as hell.
- STORAGE BINS Between the stacks of magazines we keep on hand (anyone who works for a magazine is usually a magazine junkie), the press releases, junk food, books, beauty products, and stuff - if you're like us and have tons of non-paperwork cluttering your space, you have to file by the pile. Unfortunately, piles don't look too slick. Line your metal shelving with these sleek looking vinyl bins from GlobalSources.com - the perfect size for magazines. Or, keep things monochrome and opt for metal bins. (We got ours at Ikea.)
- FILE CABINET Even if you vow to toss every bit last bit of paper that isn't vital, you'll still have to deal with some. This efficient looking gray model from ContainerStore.com - a mecca of office organizing paraphernalia - will have you looking the part in no time. Or, if gray isn't your thing, do what we did & spray paint it gold.
- WALL SHELVES If your digs are cramped (we live in NYC, believe me, we understand) think vertical. That expanse of wall is just waiting to lighten the load cluttering up your desk.Talk about flexible; these super-affordable (under $100) Lack shelves from Ikea.com can be used either vertically or horizontally, and are beefy enough to function as a coffee-table - just add casters.
- BULLETIN BOARD WITH BENEFITS Give all those clutter-promoting items littering your desk - pens, scissors, business cards, bills due - a home with this ingenious Uten.Silo Wall Pockets. A classic, the original was created in 1969 to deal with changing table detrius. Add pockets as you need them, and after a while, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. At ModernSeed.com
- COOL CONTAINER Keys, sunglasses, cellphone, spare change - stash it stylishly when you come in the door in this chic, eco-friendly container from plyFOLD - PlyDesign.com. Available in triangular and rectangulare versions, these colorful containers are crafted from recycled leather and wool felt. They also flatten out completely for transportation, and are biodegradable.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Unclutter Your Office: It's Easy! Storage Tips from Maxwell at ApartmentTherapy.com - Shelving From Muji & TopDeq; Storage Bins; File Cabinet; Wall Shelves; Bulletin Board with Benefits; Eco-Friendly Container - WEEKLY FASHIONTRIBES HOME DECOR PODCAST: