eBay recently launched their new Fashion Voice feature with a fun video, "What's Your Vintage Era?" starring celeb stylist Annabel Tollman discussing how to select vintage dresses & looks to suit your figure.
Here are her top 5 tips for shopping for vintage on eBay like a pro:
1. MEASUREMENTS! Don't rely on the seller to guesstimate sizes. "Ask for measurements," advises Annabel. "Compare the measurements to a piece that you already own to make sure it fits well."
2. KNIT KNOW-HOW "If you are looking to buy vintage knits (I personally love Alaia) be sure to ask the seller if the piece has been stored flat - knit pieces tend to stretch when hung up for many years."
3. SEARCH SAVVY "Be sure to expand your search when looking for items. For instance, if you love vintage rock t-shirts, search by band but also specify details like “original”, “faded” or “thin” to make sure it’s truly authentic."
4. MORE SEARCH SECRETS "Another trick when searching is to include pop-culture references eg. "Mad Men" or "Great Gatsby" or even style icons like "Bardot" or Lady Gaga" which will increase your selection."
5. LABEL LUST? You might do better to select look and quality over what's written on little garment tag. "You definitely get more party dress for your money if you buy un-labeled or non-designer vintage."
Another great resource to keep on your shelf or tucked in your purse (fabulous for passing the time on the subway, train, or bus) is The Little Guide to Vintage Shopping. It will help you get your vintage chic on in no time.
- Lesley Scott