Carly's Chic Steals and Fashion Deals of the Week: Boho Babe
by Carly J. Cais, Fashion Designer & ChicSteals blog
As a designer - my line is RIVETED Clothing & Accessories - I've developed an eye for style over the years...and right along with it, a nose for a bargain. Half the fun of fashion is looking fabulous without needing to declare bankruptcy. Each week, I showcase hot designer-style steals (each for $100 or, in most cases, for much, much less)...along with one splurge-worthy item.
This Spring has seen the comeback of the breezy California Hippie chic from the 70's with flirty, fun frocks that are feminine, relaxed, and comfortable. To take the look from sweltering city streets to the beach, simply switch out the accessories! Here are some laid-back and lovely bohemian picks guaranteed to bring on the Flower Power:
- ANKLE-LENGTH SUNDRESS In the harsh, sundrenched deserts of the world, those in the know stay protected in long, loose garments; the ankle-length of this sweet cotton maxidress will not only keep you cool, it's also quite forgiving. The contrast of the earthy brown Indian-inspired pattern along the hem makes this frock pair perfectly with neon bright accessories for days when you're feeling flamboyant, or with wood or shell jewelry for a more natural look. Ward off an early morning chill with a cotton cardi or denim jacket until it's high noon...when it's all about skin and flowing locks. Moorea ankle-length sundress - $50 at Roxy.com.
- STRAPPY SANDALS Inspired by Kate Hudson's breezy chic style, the strappy flat is a must. These vegan, metallic two-tone braided sandals easily dress up or down, and work with almost any color or print. They're on sale for $13 at Payless.com (which is cheap in price but surprisingly not so on quality and wearability), so why not buy a backup pair?
- GINORMOUS BAG With all the stuff a gal-on-the-go needs to tote around these days, size matters. This fun turquoise print Mosaic Wood Bead tote from Alloy is roomy enough to accommodate all the additional warm weather acouterments - oversized aviators, paraben-free sunscreen, flavored water, journal, solid perfume...and the $30 price is also nice.
- CHUNKY BANGLES This season, the larger your accessories, the better, and when it comes to bangles, pile 'em on with abandon (if you're having trouble raising your arm, you're in the right ballpark). Mix and match like a pro by pairing metals with naturals, patterns with solids, and thin with thick to create a pleasing group adorning your wrists. An affordable (between $16-$30 each) nature-inspired trio to try: wide wooden Copacabana bangles, thin gold Bamboo bangles; handpainted metallic bangle.
- STYLISH SCARF Lindsay & Jessica are almost never without a lightweight scarf looped around their necks, and with good reason: it's a chic trend that lends itself perfectly to Cali cool. In juicy orange and priced at $10, this one from Forever 21 will spice up whatever you've got on without taking the oomph out of your bank account.
- SPLURGE OF THE WEEK: CHARMING, MULTI-CHAIN CHARM NECKLACE Whether the finishing touch to a gauzy v-neck cotton dress...or glimmering at the neck of a tailored white shirt at the office, NYC cult-fave Wendy Mink's eye-catching array of gold pendants, 22k gold vermeil, and smoky quartz beautifully balances size, silhouette and a mix of materials. On sale at Bluefly for $250 (original price $417), it's a stylish steal.
If there are any high-priced pieces you'd like me to find similar, less costly versions of, please email me at *carlyjcais AT riveted-clothing.com*. Til next week, fellow bargain-hunters!
||...& don't miss: