When the going gets rough, the tough get decked out. The current unease in the zeitgeist has appeared on the runway as military-inspired looks, albeit with an added layer of glitz, tailoring, and decked out in accessories - most notably the ceremonial British colonial'esque helmuts at Proenza Schouler designed by the South African-born Albertus Swanepoel. This interesting strain of safari-influenced neutrals took a more ladylike turn at Donna Karan and Lanvin, went leather-clad a la Mad Max babe at DSquared, and an oddly glitzy, Studio 54-ready version from Jean Paul Gaultier for Hermes.
Here are some ways to work the look into your own wardrobe:
Invest in a chic shirtdress in khaki or army green, throw on oversize tortoishell shades, and glitzy touches like shiny patents, metallics, and the odd interesting print in a complementary orange or tomato red.
- belted shirt jacket by Donna Karan - Nordstrom.com
- jungle print tank by Balenciaga - BrownsFashion.com
- Junya Watanabe khaki pleated miniskirt - BrownsFashion.com
- nude patent sandals by Bruno Frisoni - Vivre.com
- Tom Ford Sabine sunglasses - AlohaRag.com
- Pour la Victoire metallic gladiator flat - Nordstrom.com
- straw tote - JCrew.com
- Lesley Scott
||...& don't miss: