"Buy this now; wear it forever." This little fashion lie, while beguiling (and, in truth, applying only to diamond studs), should be avoided at all costs explains More magazine's style expert Charla Krupp - a regular on The E! and Home Shopping Network, with more than 100 style segments on The Today Show under her (no doubt skinny) belt, and author of New York Times bestseller How Not to Look Old described as one of the best weapons in the war against aging gracefully).
"Even the basics have an expiration date...Many of us have boring, outdated "classics" that should have been ditched seasons ago," she warns in the April issue. "They not only take up valuable real estate in our closets, but, worse, they broadcast for all to see that we just can't let go." The shame. Avoid this plight by ditching the stuff you shouldn't still be wearing (or never wear any more) regardless of what you spent or that it they still fits, and treat yourself to some new basics. And then say it loud & proud: I have no intention of wearing this forever.
Some of Krupp's picks for new basics to perk up your wardrobe:
Brilliantly Hued Anorak & White Trouser or Pant (above): "Color, a strong trend now, works better for most of us on top."
- Anne Klein New York anorak - available at Dillards
- Cacherel ruched jersey tank - JaneBoutique.com
- Jones New York Sport white pants - purchasing info at JonesNewYork.com
- Botkier metallic Lulu hobo - Botkier.com
- Nine West Echatta sandals - available soon at Zappos.com
The Structured Dress "Instead of a boxy A-line or droopy knits, a tailored neutral color sheath like this contours an hourglass shape. The wide belt defines and controls your waist."
- O by Oscar dress - available soon at Macys.com
- MICHAEL Michael Kors Santorini straw clutch - available soon at Nordstrom.com
- Via Spiga Ibsco shoes - available soon at Macys.com
- Milly diamond silk twill shirtdress - Bloomingdales.com
- Dooney & Burke medium Cinzia bag - available soon at Dooney.com
- Ann Taylor chain link wedges - available soon at AnnTaylor.com
- Lafayette 148 white cotton puff sleeve Rafaella wrap blouse - available soon at Lafayette148.com
- high waisted stretch-cotton pencil skirt - BananaRepublic.com
- Calvin Klein taupe patent Nicola pumps - Zappos.com
Cropped Leather Bomber Jacket, Ladylike Shirt & Swingy Khaki Skirt "A lightweight leather topper replaces the jeans jacket, while the new basic blouse is a geo-print, worn with a khaki cotton trumpet skirt."
- cropped Dani leather bomber - available soon at Lafayette148.com
- print Faconnable cotton/silk blouse - available at Faconnable boutiques
- khaki cotton trumpet skirt - available soon at TheLimited.com
- Glory Chen Taylor color-block pumps - OliveShoes.com
- Lesley Scott