"I was inspired to create a collection that was more refined, but with an edge of punk anarchy" notes Thakoon Panichgul about his Fall 08 showing. "I also looked at using fabrics in unexpected ways." Similarly unexpected were the oddly romantic yet tough voluminous sideswept beehives by Eugene Souleiman for Aveda. "Some of the fabrics and looks had a mature, yet modern look so I gave the hair a youthful, fantastical twist. The hair is light, ethereal and fresh, making the models look as if they are floating down the runway. The look is tough, yet dreamlike, imaginative and romantic. There is a touch o Victorian lady but with a real modern edge."
Eugene Souleiman for Aveda explains how to do this 'do:
- Starting with dry hair, spritz from roots to end with Aveda Volumizing Tonic.
- Spray roots with Pure Abundance Volumizing Hair Spray and blow completely dry. (Want still more volume? Try Pure Abundance Hair Potion.)
- Beginning at the nape of the neck, divide hair into 1 x 2-3 inch sections and backcomb to within one inch of the scalp, leaving a halo of hair around the head (from ear to ear) untouched.
- Starting at the scalp and working towards the ends, flat-iron each section of backcombed hair beginning at the nape and moving to the sides of the head, then to the crown and the top of the head.
- In the same order you flat-ironed it, brush hair out gently with a wide tooth comb. Be sure to leave volume at the scalp.
- Gather hair into a loose ponytail secured at the very ends, away from the head. Tie with a string.
- Tuck the ends of hair under by the nape of the neck and up to the head, pinning ends to the scalp at the middle of the head.
- Spray untouched halo of hair with Air Control Hair Spray and blowdry upwards and away from the face to create dramatic, swept up flyways.
- "The foundation of this look is volume at the roots, which any woman can achieve simply by backcombing hair at the roots using Aveda products that give fullness and grit to the hair."
- Lesley Scott
(runway photos: nymag.com; Eugene Souleiman for Aveda backstage courtesy of Aveda)
||...& don't miss: