With fur back in fashion, it's virtually impossible for a fashionista to resist the lure of its fluffy goodness. However, the horrors that animals are subjected to in the fur trade make buying something new a potentially gut-wrenching, conscience-weighing experience (shopping should be therapeutic, not therapy-inducing).
An option is to go the vintage route. Not only does your purchase not contribute to demand for new furs & further cruelty against animals, but you're doing an earth-friendly turn by recycling garments already on the market. eBay is an amazing source of vintage fur coats (like the 30s glam number at left that recently sold for $31.04!), jackets, strollers, bags, hats, muffs, etc. And with a range of quality & prices to choose from, you may never shop again without the added thrill of an auction victory.
Some tips for shopping on eBay:
- search specifically - eg. for "vintage fur" or "vintage fur coat"...don't mindlessly browse lest the overwhelming selection of everything in the known universe leave you mindless
- new items are listed round the clock, so become a daily visitor
- you will start to find sellers who consistently list items you love - be sure to bookmark them to your group of Favorite Sellers
- when you're bidding, feel free to ask tons of questions about the item - good sellers answer promptly & without attitude
- you have good taste, so it's more than likely that an item you simply must have will end up in a bidding war. If you're the high bidder, you run the risk of being outbid in the last seconds by a so-called sniper. to keep the playing field level, learn about this (legal) bidding strategy - called Time Conscious Proxy Bidding - to make sure you snipe your way to victory rather than getting sniped out of a fab garment or accessory
- friendships, relationships, even marriages have resulted from shopping on eBay, so they started eBay Neighborhoods (located in the upper right hand corner of the eBay site under Community) for connecting & self-expressing with likeminded types - be it for romance or fashion
- no more refresh-refresh-refresh...with the new eBay Countdown, you can track your auction in real time and learn if you've been outbid as soon as it happens (as I was on the glamorous 40s fox cape above which went for $49.99)
& to add to the fun, eBay will be rolling out these new features:
- dig window shopping? Snapshot View will let you take a journey of serendipitous discovery organized by price, color or category
- Video! sellers will soon be able to embed videos in their listings, allowing them to get creative & you to enjoy the show
- Lesley Scott
...& don't miss: