5 Worthwhile Fashion Splurges!
by Dawn Del Russo, fashion stylist & image consultant
While the latest trendy shapes, silhouettes & colors keep a wardrobe fresh & inspiring when you dig through it in the morning deciding what to wear, without what Nina Garcia calls the "bones" of a wardrobe - great items that transcend trends & look as good in NYC as they do in Tokyo, Paris, London...now & five years from now - you can run the risk of playing the role of fashion victim rather than style maven.
Here are five items you'll want to drop some cash on, as they'll pay you back with major interest in the style department:
1. A Fabulous Handbag An unquestionably wonderful investment! Designers who have stood the test of time specialize in timeless styles & superior quality & craftsmanship. (YSL Muse - Saks.com; Gucci Princy tote - BerdorfGoodman.com)
2. Shoes! Splurging on a stunning pair is the perfect way to update any outfit instantly, and they will way outlast the cheapies. (Manolo Blahnik Lace Up Suede Boot - NeimanMarcus.com; Christian Louboutin Decolette Scalloped Pumps - Saks.com)
3. Diamond Studs Who says only men can buy us diamonds? Diamond studs are a classic in any girl’s wardrobe, and are the perfect answer to what earrings? Look for good quality diamonds, the lower the letter the better - try to start with G so they sparkle. (Tiffany platinum-set studs; also consider Fortunoff Princess Cut studs)
4. Stylish Denim A failsafe investment...once you lay hands on the perfect pair: fitted but not skintight, slight stretch, dark wash, and comfy enough to actually sit in. Consider having them tailored to fit your proportions as it's money well spent. (True Religion Billy Jeans - Bloomingdales.com; also try Kasil Skinny Jeans at Belladawn.com)
5. A Distinguished Winter Coat This will last many seasons if not years, so pick something versatile such as this Chloe double-breasted wool number. (available at Net-a-Porter.com; also try the Burberry raincoat in black with a removable hood & lining - NeimanMarcus.com)
- Dawn Del Russo