Whether it's Weight Loss You're After, De-Stressing or Overcoming Phobias, Hypnosis Can Harmonize Mind & Body
Your conscious mind accounts for a paltry 10% of your total mind - dealing mainly with decision-making & logic. Your subconscious, however, not only doesn't recognize logic, it controls the other 90%, regulating various functions throughout your body...like those pesky & persistant bad habits. "Most people eat for comfort or to relieve stress and those habits become a life-long problem. Problems maintaining a healthy weight can be connected to some underlying emotional reason," notes certified clinical hypnotherapist, Rebecca Wesson, explaining that habits are usually changed through constant repetition of the new habit until it becomes accepted by the subconscious. "The difference between permanent and temporary weight loss is purely psychological. Habits create a psychological chain process in our brain that contributes to our repetitive actions strengthening the links."
To weaken undesirable links or create new ones that are less self-destructive, many would-be weight loss success stories have been turning to hypnosis to help in the battle against the bulge. "Since your subconscious mind willingly accepts new information when you are in a relaxed state, the process of changing habits is accelerated by speaking directly to your subconscious mind and reprogramming it, via hypnotic suggestion," says Wesson - pointing out that consistently turning to food to fill an emotional void eventually registers as a normal habit in your subconscious mind, not only resulting in calorie-laden binges, but compromising your body's ability to detect & act on the signals the body gives to signal hunger and being full. "Hypnosis assists you to tuning into the body's natural reflexes so that you will only eat when you are hungry, choose the right foods for your body to work efficiently, and eat only to satisfy your hunger."
Because hypnotic behavior uses the same principles that affect social behavior - instructions, expectations, cues, and beliefs - hypnosis is particularly helpful in learning to shed work-related stress. "The vast numbers of technological gadgets on the market that are designed to keep us plugged in make it difficult to disconnect from the stressors associated with work. Doubts and feelings of guilt can not only effect vacations, but result in a decrease in job performance."
Fears, such as flying (which, surprisingly, have little to do with the actual risk involved), can also be addressed through hypnotherapy. "During hypnotherapy the unconscious mind can be directed to claim consciousness and build confidence. This would be a part of training the unconscious to instinctively eliminate disturbing thoughts and feelings of anxiety and stress," shares Wesson. "As the demand for hypnosis has spread over the last few years, more and more people have reached out to me with regards to tapping into their subconscious mind to change unwanted behaviors/thought patterns."
She also has a series of 20(!) CDs grouped into five categories catchily dubbed P.O.W.E.R.: Power, Overcome, WoMan, Elevate & Refresh. They cover everything from motivation, to success & purpose; ditching dispair, worries & phobias; beauty & self-esteem issues; well-being & intuition; and even sleeping better and getting your energy- & joy-levels up to par.
CDs & more info on Wesson at RebeccaWesson.com.
- Lesley Scott