Over-the-knee to thigh-high boots have long been a fashion staple of the bondage community, drag queens, and a wardrobe staple for plying the world's oldest profession. However, designers like Anna Sui are now making them positively mainstream.
Part of the reason over-the-knee boots haven't been afforded proper R-E-S-P-E-C-T is thanks to Hollywood: Julia Roberts streetwalked straight onto the Tinseltown A-list in a patent pair as a hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold Cinderella, while the always fabulous Chiwetel Ejiofor showed off his sassy side (and gorge gams) in the role of Simon, a sassy drag queen who ends up helping save an ailing, extremely conservative British men's shoe factory.
To keep it fashionable rather than fringe, take your style cues from fashion history. Longer tunics paired with tights or leggings look chic instead of cheap, and if you're rocking a mini or 60s shift, the higher the hem, the lower the heel. (This rule is in fact engraved prominently on the tablets containing the 10 Fashion Commandments.) And thigh-high boots, while fun, are less than classic, so they should fall into the category of fun fashion splurge rather than seriou$ wardrobe investment.
Some of the best over-the-knee & thigh-high boots:
- Anna Sui silver metallic with sundial applique on the arch - Net-a-Porter.com
- Sergio Rossi chocolate suede Mara - Zappos.com
- Alberto Fermani hand-crafted in Italy - NeimanMarcus.com
- KG by Kurt Geiger - ASOS.com
- A.F. Vandevorst - MonaMoore.com
- Diesel punched leather with ruching - ASOS.com
- the Samantha - GlamourBoots.com
- Biba thigh high & perfect for letting those long legs walk - BrownsFashion.com
- Costume National - Zappos.com
- Yee haw! Saddle up in the Rodeo from Pleaser - TheRedDoorStore.com
- have some fun in a cobalt blue pair! GlamourBoots.com
- for days when dispensing an ass whuppin' is called for, it's all about the Jenne O Marilyn - BrownsFashion.com
- Manolo Blahnik - NeimanMarcus.com (photo: The Purse Blog)
- Lesley Scott