Have Yourself a Spendy Little Christmas - the Youth Trends Holiday Shopping Forecast Finds Spending is Up this Year.
According to a new survey released by leading strategic research and advisory firm Youth Trends, spending by teens & college kids aged 16-24 is expected to average around $634 this year up - up 10% over last year. Top categories are clothes, gaming & tech devices for the fam ($266), friends & significant others ($210), and, of course "me too" splurges...on themselves ($158).
The top gift choices:
- Apparel & Accessories (78%) top brands include Victoria’s Secret, Urban Outfitters, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle Outfitters, Sephora, Forever 21 and H&M
- Gift Cards (64%)
- Technology & Communications-Related Devices (41%) iPod Nano & Sony Cybershot digital camera
- Video Game Systems & Video Games (36%) Nintendo Wii Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3 & Call of Duty 4
- DVDs (31%)
- Dorm &/or Residence Rurnishings and Accessories (24%)
Holiday Shopping Season already underway, & it's not just about the best price:
- rather than wait for the Friday after Thanksgiving, 36% have already made at least one holiday-related purchase
- just say "no" to last minute shopping...41% say “they hope to have the majority of their holiday-related purchases made by the end of November”
- 39% report that price alone isn't the only reason to buy something; rather store location is just as important (if not more so)
- according to 34%, customer service & return policies are just as important if not more important than price
- 27% plan to buy at least one gift online during November & December (up 23% over last year)
- Lesley Scott