According to the She's Like a Rainbow: Colors in Fashion exhibit at NYC's Fashion Institute of Technology, yellow has a storied history. In Imperial China, it was regarded as the most beautiful of colors and representative of power, while fashionable 18th century Europeans adored the hue for its association with elegant, exotic chinoiserie. Yellow is also the tasty color of Bacardi Limon, which is sponsoring a fab contest for the fashion design-minded, in collaboration with their media sponsor, The Daily, fashion's premier headhunting & search firm 24 Seven, and a fashion & shoe design house Hollywould!
Contestants will submit a sketch of a nightlife outfit inspired by Bacardi Limon, along with a descriptive paragraph about the creative concept. Five finalists will duke it out in NYC in a two hour walk-off style cut-and sew where they assemble their designs live before a panel of fash-insider judges. And the winner gets $5,000, appearances in the May issue of The Daily MINI, a complete portfolio review & evaluation from 24 Seven, and an internship at Hollywould,
In a fun podcast interview with Hollywould's founder & Creative Director, Holly Dunlap (above), she notes that "this contest is a great opportunity to be able to try something at no risk, get great exposure and meet fashion insiders - which is why we're offering the internship at Hollywould. In college, I learned the most from my internships, because you have a chance to really see how things work. My first internship was with Carolyn Roehm, which was very different from my internship with Vivienne Westwood, who did everything from cleaning up the dishes in the lunch room to pinning samples."
Important deets about the Bacardi Limon Express Your Style contest:
- To participate, you must be over 25 & NOT a resident of California, Rhode Island or Utah
- Entries must include a description of the creative concept (500 words or less) along with a sketch of the yellow nightlife ensemble, and fabric specs (type & yardage).
- Finalists must be able to travel to NYC for the final cut-and-sew competition on March 22, where the garment will be assembled live in front of the panel of judges.
- The winner will receive $5,000 cash, an internship with Hollywould, an editorial spread in The Daily, and a portfolio review & evaluation from 24 Seven.
- Enter by midight (NYC time) on February 16th at FashionWeekDaily.com
- For more info on Bacardi Limon, check out BacardiFlavors.com
- To listen to the exclusive Fashiontribes podcast with Brandusa Niro, Editor in Chief of The Daily, CLICK HERE. To check in with Hillary Townsend of 24 Seven, CLICK HERE.
- Lesley Scott