When BBC.com reported that Lincoln University had appointed a professor of animal psychiatry to study the behavior of dogs, cats, and horses, and examine their fears and stresses - one might wonder, has the world gone nuts?
Possibly, but since pets are such a huge part of many of our lives - if you can't beat, hell, join 'em!
- Wondering why kitty or puppy has seemed so cranky or out-of-sorts of late? Find out why from pet psychiatrist Warren Eckstein, www.warreneckstein.com who has over 25 years experience dealing with more than 40,000 pets - including Al Pacino's & Lily Tomlin's. To get to the root of the problem, he uses his special "Hugs and Kisses" approach to animal behavior, care and training. He's also written books on pet aerobics and getting cats to do what you want.
- To really mind-meld with your pet, call in a pet psychic. Joan Ranquet-Jenkins can find out what is eating Fido: Is he jealous? Over your ridiculous work schedule? Learn the answers at 12House.com.
- To get your pet super clean, there's no need for messy baths at home, or expensive trips to the groomer. With the new Pet Spa from LaunderPet.com, you simply stick your pet in the pet washing machine. It looks like a super-sized microwave, and the computerized hydro-muscular massage and bath automatically washes and blow-dries your dog or cat. It was designed by a team of veterinarians, animal behaviorists and engineers for the well being of pets - so go for it.
- We all know everybody is getting botoxed and lipo'ed out the wazoo, but did you know pets are too? According to MSNBC.com, more pets are getting facelifts, tummy tucks, nose jobs, breast reductions, testicular implants and cosmetic dentistry. "Pets are no longer considered property, but family members," says celeb vet Dr. Alan Schulman, a board-certified orthopedic veterinary surgeon who performs plastic surgery on pets - but draws the line at procedures he deems unnecessary, like liposuction. "With the evolution of this emotional bond, people with discretionary income are taking advantage of technology and veterinary expertise to give their animals medically indicated reconstructive surgery resulting in a better quality of life."
- One place that will perform pet lipo is the Boca Greens Animal Hospital, www.bocagreensanimalhospital.com, in Boca Raton, Florida. According to FortWayne.com, they lipo'ed 12 ounces of flab off a chunky chihuahua.
- They showed you love, right up to the very end. Return the favor with a pet casket from The Ginger Box, www.thegingerboxtm.com. Designed after thirteen year old Ginger, a red border terrier, passed away, the owner was shocked after a nearby clinic returned the pet for burial - frozen and in a black garbage bag. "When my 4-year old son asked if this was how people were buried, I explained that people are put in caskets. His reply was 'Then why can't Ginger have one too?'"